As a millennial, I’ve been growing up with ICT developing around me and as many people around my age, I have quickly adopted social networks when they came out and I’m still using them a lot. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat have no secrets for our generation and are part of our daily life for most of us. Worldwide we estimate that over 2.3 billion people are using social media but we need to use those carefully both from a personal and professional point of view. Exemples of counter-productive uses of social networks are quite numerous and sometimes dramatic so here are a few tips that are useful in my opinion.
- Always use high security and privacy settings. By doing so, your account will be less visible for headhunters to find or for hackers to hack, if they do they won’t be able to access your data easily. This is convenient if your profile has pics or other informations that you would like to hide. Plus, this will also help you prevent the theft of your digital identity (“meaning pics, names, infos, tastes…) stolen. Also, a good advice is to always set complex passwords using caps, signs, numbers… ; getting your account hacked is never convenient and can lead to some potential threats for you and your friends so use as many tools as possible to avoid it ;).
- Control your own publications. I know that it can be tempting to publish a lot of informations online from Snaps to status or Tweets, we live in a world that is super-connected so it is hard to resist. But you need to control yourself and more specifically what you are publishing, liking and so on for the exact same motives that I named in the previous tip.
- Control your friends publications. What I mean by this is that you should be careful about what your friends are publishing if you are included in this publication such as an identification, a picture and so on. If it bothers you either in a professional way or in a personal way, you should just ask your friend to delete his publication.
- Be careful while expressing your ideas. Social networks are a wonderful tool that gives you the opportunity to debate, share ideas, and discover the world that is surrounding you. But those networks are also quite quick to react if they think you are overreacting or attacking someone or something without any valid reasons.
- Be careful, cyberbullying does exist. Everybody knows about the different types of bullying at school, in the streets, in the common transport systems and so on. But cyber-bullying is something that everybody isn’t aware of. The story of Canadian teenager Amanda Todd is the most famous example of this practice (Find the all story here: here). Just know, that you should always be careful when talking to someone online. But mostly if someone is being rude, disrespectful and so on ; do not hesitate to talk about it with any close friends or relatives.
Enjoy! I know that this article is kind of harsh on social networks as they are the perfect tool to stay connected with friends and family. They are a wonderful tool, you just have to be careful while using them. 😉